How is it October and a month into Spring already?! That means we moved into our new home almost 9 months ago- Crazy! I remember unpacking box, after box and making a conscious decision to Spring clean regularly, ensuring the house is kept looking fresh, clutter free and manageable. I feel much calmer when our surroundings are tidy, so it is crucial for me to maintain organisation and household chores (especially) when working from home, to ensure my mind is clear and focused. My second family over at Homebuyers Centre WA have asked me to chat about my favourite spring cleaning products/ cannot-live-without-items, organisation tips and some simple ways to get your home feeling fabulous for less… Yes, less- because we have even managed to get our hands on some exclusive discounts from 10 awesome brands that I love and use in my own home- you can view them all at the bottom of this post.
Maintenance is key.
I’d be fibbing if I told you our home is perfectly curated and magazine worthy everyday. It’s certainly not- but it is kept fairly tidy and we all try to pack away/clean up after ourselves throughout the day. Getting into the mentality of, “it literally takes two seconds,” stops clutter building up and chores feel way more manageable because they’re not made into mammoth tasks. When it comes to larger cleans (like spring cleaning) I break down the duties into specific areas and tackle them over a few different weekends. This means I still get to enjoy the majority of my weekend with family and I only have to dig out the cleaning products targeting the related areas I’m working on. The same principle applies for landscaping and exterior!! When I notice a little weed sprouting or some dry leaf litter floating around, I’ll make sure they’re pulled out/picked up promptly so that the chore doesn’t manifest over time.
Organise and simplify.
One key aspect that helps me maintain a clean home is having everyone know where possessions belong. This is especially helpful for children who are primary school age and above. Knowing where their toys, clothes and belongings are, eliminates a tornado of mess when they are trying to locate something specific. Clearly label storage tubs and group together similar items- eg cars, lego, technology, crafts… then the same with clothing- shorts, pants, tees, long sleeve. You can also rotate your seasonal clothes by packing away bulky, winter garments that you won’t wear throughout summer. I relocate ours and put them in the wardrobe of our spare bedroom, but if you’re limited on space you could try vacuum bagging some items and temporarily storing them in your linen cupboard. This frees up a lot of space in our main wardrobes and the whole area feels less cluttered.
Go from room- to-room and ruthlessly recycle, donate or appropriately throw away any possessions that are no longer being used/eaten/worn/played with. Don’t stop at your wardrobes either, consider culling old makeup, skincare products and expired medications in your vanities (Children’s panadol, nurofen and spare sunscreen tubes are notorious for expiring in my household.) Also take a look at your current bath/hand/face towels and consider donating any spares to your local women’s refuge or animal shelter. Same goes for linen, bedding and cushions. You might be overdue for new pillow inserts, fresh sheets or a summer quilt so bag it up and donate anything you no longer require. Then (if required) you can replenish and treat yourself using the discount code provided further down #winning
This category could easily fall underneath the ‘organise’ umbrella, but I think ‘storage’ deserves it’s own mention as well. Often we focus on elaborate storage systems and custom-built units to impressively store belongings, forgetting that nifty hacks can also make the world of difference to de-clutter your home. One handy idea that I utilise in our home, is that we each have a bamboo basket which contains our day-to-day hygiene/beauty regime products- this is particularly convenient if your bathroom vanity has doors instead of drawers. You can easily take the items in and out (all at once,) which leaves your cupboards organised and your bench space tidy. They’re super affordable and are also stackable which is another awesome space saving pro!!
Bespoke joinery is beautiful, but this option is simply not obtainable for everyone. Thankfully, there are so many furniture pieces with great storage solutions on the market. In my opinion, Ikea is the retail leader when shopping for affordable and readily available storage units like wardrobes, drawers, entertainment units, bookcases and wall storage cabinets. My favourite systems to consider are the BESTÅ, PAX, KOPPANG, ALEX and EKET. There are hundreds of online hacks around to personalise these ranges but they have also just released new colour/material/profile options for some of the BESTÅ systems and they look NEAT!!! See below.
Buffets, console tables and blanket boxes are also lovely furniture options, if you want additional hidden storage. By placing a blanket box or storage ottoman at the foot of your bed, it can enhance the overall room aesthetic, as well as provide a convenient storage option in your bedroom. Utilise it to fold away a clean set of bed linen and towels in, so they are easily accessible when wanting a fresh towel or swapping over sheets on washing day. Here are 3 on-trend styles, currently available (and ready to ship) from Adairs.
Enhance the ambience.
Create an atmosphere that relaxes you. No doubt after a good spring clean, your home will be smelling fresh but here are a few more ways to enhance tranquility in your surroundings.
- Draw back your curtains.
- Open your windows and let some fresh air in.
- Use natural cleaning agents with aromatic scents, especially on your surfaces and floors.
- Light a new candle or burn an incense stick.
- Flip over a few reeds of your fragrance diffuser.
- Buy yourself a bouquet of fresh flowers or gather some foliage from your garden.
- Turn on some of your favourite tunes.
- Cleanse and charge your crystals if required.
- Put a wrapped bar of soap or a fresh fragrance sachet in your chest of drawers.
- Water and fertilise your indoor plants.
- Frame a new family portrait.
All of these small suggestions will help your home feel more inviting, more homely and more enjoyable.
My top home maintenance and spring cleaning products.
I have rounded up my favourite 12 products that help me maintain and keep our home looking tidy throughout the year. None of them are sponsored, so you can expect an honest review based on my personal use and their performance. A few stores have offered my community a discount, but this is purely because myself and Homebuyers Centre WA have reached out to the brand and obtained a discount code based off my love for their products. Enjoy!
- ECOVACS DEEBOT OZMO T8 AIVI Robot Vacuum– I cannot live without this little creature! It vacuums and mops (although I primarily use it for vacuuming,) has a nifty mapping function, carpet detection and so many other great functions. It has been the best investment/purchase I have made this year. ||Click Here||
- Bissell SpotClean Carpet Cleaner- In all honesty I thought this machine would blow my mind. It’s good but I wouldn’t say incredible… It still cements itself as a ‘must-have’ because I believe if our furniture were a bit older and more worn, I would see better results. What I can recommend being amazing, is the next Bissell product. ||Click Here||
- Bissell Tough Stain Pre-Cleaner– THIS little bottle of magic, is amazing! It mentions being a Pre-cleaner, but on the marks I have treated, this solution completely cleaned them off my sofas without having to use the (above) machine itself. Super convenient to have on hand for any unexpected stains that appear. ||Click Here||
- Koh Microfibre Cloths (4 Pack)– These microfibre cloths are great quality and they get the job done! The white polishing cloth (for mirrors and glass) is excellent and it’s the only product that leaves my glass streak-free. ||Click Here||
- Koala Eco Natural Multi-Purpose Kitchen Cleaner– I first received this solution as a handover gift from HBC when we received our keys and now I’m absolutely hooked. The fragrance is divine, it’s both biodegradable and eco-friendly, plus the formula is completely plant-based. 20% off storewide when using OHEIGHTOHNINE at the checkout. ||Click Here||
- Bondi Wash Non-Toxic Floor Wash- This floor wash smells amazing (loveee the citrus fragrance,) and it doesn’t leave your floor sticky or with a filmy residue. It is highly concentrated so the bottle goes a long way it’s safe to use on all floor types- hardwood, engineered timber, vinyl, hybrid, tiles, laminate etc… 20% off storewide when using OHEIGHTOHNINE at the checkout. ||Click Here||
- Chux Magic Eraser Spot Cleaner– These little gems are really handy for spot cleaning scuffs off walls and skirting boards. Try a small, isolated wall area first because it works/dries differently on certain paint finishes. They’re magic though- just like the name implies! ||Click Here||
- Philips Fabric Shaver– This is a recent purchase of mine but holy moly… I’m already addicted and am amazed at how my upholstery and clothes have been transformed!! ||Click Here||
- BÄSTIS Lint Roller– Yessss, the sticky lint roller is essential if you own a pet or simply want to keep fabrics dust/fibre/lint/hair-free. I use mine mostly on the sofas, headboards, ottomans and our clothing because it collects our dog’s fur that the vacuum can sometimes miss. ||Click Here||
- Selley’s Rapid Mould Killer– Okay so this product is definitely not natural and it’s quite strong, BUT it’s the only product I am satisfied with for effectively cleaning showers and grout. It’s not so much needed in our current home (because everything is new) but in my previous homes it has worked an absolute treat so I have continued to use it here as well!! || Click Here ||
- Koh Spray Mop– To be honest I think the actual mop itself is pretty on par with other brands, howeverrrr, the pads are what seals the deal for me. The green one is particularly good because it has some sort of interwoven, rubbery material among the rest of the fabric. I have no idea what it is called (lol,) but there is a noticeable grip and it definitely cleans my floor better than pads that just glide over the surface… Oh and the bundle is currently 55% off for anyone interested. || Click Here ||
- Bamboo Stackable Basket– I mentioned these above in my little vanity life hack, but they can be used anywhere in the home to organise items and save space in your pantry, study, laundry cupboards, nursery etc… 15% off storewide when using OHEIGHTOHNINE at the checkout.|| Click Here ||
Whether you’re about to start an intense clean, or need to replenish a few items- the below 10 stores have you covered for all your cleaning, interior and organisation needs. Scroll through to see what discounts are on offer and enter OHEIGHTOHNINE at the checkout of each store for the full month of October. Valid until 31st October 2021, 23:59 AEST.
Discount code: OHEIGHTOHNINE
PRETTY LITTLE DESIGNS
15% off storewide- including sale items || Shop Now ||
20% off storewide ** excluding bundles and subscriptions. || Shop Now ||
10% off storewide ** excluding sets. || Shop Now ||
HOUSE OF WELLINGTON
15% off storewide || Shop Now ||
20% off Bondi Wash products ** excludes subscription boxes and cannot be used with any other discount code. || Shop Now ||
THE COVER COLLECTIVE
25% off storewide ** excluding sale and bundles, laundry and cushions. || Shop Now ||
LITTLE LABEL CO
10% off storewide **excluding new arrivals. || Shop Now ||
10% off storewide ** excluding sets. || Shop Now ||
WHITE BEACH CO
15% off storewide || Shop Now ||
MISS APRIL TOWELS
15% off storewide || Shop Now ||
I feel like this topic and post could go on forever because there are so many great hacks around to help you maintain a clean, functional home. Just remember, it’s okay to let things get out of hand a little at times (life gets busy) but if you’re feeling overwhelmed with some of the cluttered areas in your home, a good spring clean always boosts my mood and mind once complete… so it’s worth a try right?! If you have any ‘must have’ products or tips that your really love, feel free to comment below and share them with me and other readers.
Have a lovely October everyone!!
Ps: How big is my little man now? Fully reaching his own wall hooks, like a grown teenager *sniff*
Homebuyers Centre WA has kindly sponsored this blog entry, based on my experience as their decorator and our own building journey. All thoughts, design work, styling and written content are my own.
- Make It Sparkle
- Homebuyers Centre WA Turns 30!
- Winter Home Decorating Ideas
- Society 6 Compilation
- Everything Artwork